FLASHBACK FRIDAY!
Meredith. I had that name picked out for my "future daughter" when I was in the seventh grade. I was 13, so I had a few years to ponder a middle name. I didn't realize it was sort of a family name until later in life - some great grandperson's last name on my maternal grandmother's side of the family. I knew a really sweet, beautiful girl named Meredith when I was in seventh grade. I still know her...Meredith McCormack Meurrier. All you parents remember toying with names with your spouse...You think of a great name and he is reminded of some smelly boy from middle school or he thinks of a name and you knew a total brat with that name at one time. It isn't so much that you don't like the name, but rather the associational stereotype that goes along with it. If my Meredith turns out like Meredith Meurrier, I will be one happy mama! The thing is our family rarely calls Meredith by her name...she has more nicknames than one human needs. Ironically, she answers to all of them.
Meri, Mert, Mertie, Smurf, May May...How did this happen, you ask? I have no clue. Each variation sort of evolved. Poor child. I hope my adorable little girl doesn't get called Mertie in school. When I was pregnant with her, I had someone call me and offer me $500 NOT to name her Meredith because they wanted to use that name for their kid. Seriously.
Last Sunday, we went to First Baptist Church of Senatobia to my sister's baccalaureate service. Meredith is usually good in "big" church, so I took her in to sit with us. We went to the balcony. There was a giant screen at the front of the church. Meredith must have gotten the sanctuary confused with the Tobie...she kept asking when Alvin and the Chipmunks was gonna start and where the popcorn was.
This post seriously made me tear up!! You are too sweet. Thank you so much!
ReplyDeleteMeredith is SO cute!! I hope y'all are doing well.